Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Bone to Pick…

I’m doing a book post on  a day that’s not Friday! O.O I've been reading a good bit of urban fantasy lately and I've got a bone to pick. More specifically  I've got a bone to pick with the writers.  What is it with combining all sorts of things that go bump in the night into new and strange things?

Don't get me wrong. There are some I've read that come out beautifully. Damphir are an example of this.

     Damphir- Half vampire, half human, through whatever weird twist of fate. Usually happens when a newly turned vamp isn't quite turned yet and ends up either impregnating someone or getting pregnant.

Or Half-Fae I've seen those too, and they work just fine. Hell, they make sense. A vampini though? Are you kidding me? Half genie half vampire, where the genie isn't even contributing dna? How does that work?  Hell, it makes me think I should be ordering it at the bar.

I'm not saying don't write. (I write myself, so it'd be pointless.) I'm not saying don't mix things up. We need innovation. Please though, put some consideration into how you mix things? Pretty please? =sighs= If you can make it make sense, I'm all for it. If you're just throwing stuff together though, and thinking "Hey this would make an interesting mix!" please, just don't. Cut it out, and leave it in the 'Oops' file.

/ hops down off the soapbox. 
Anyway! In other news, The Band Perry has grown on me since I first heard their music. Their latest song to get hooked into my skull is "Better Dig Two ". I woke up with this song playing in my head this morning. It's rather amusing because I don't normally do that. I like the beat, the lead singer's voice, and the story told in the song. I even like the video, which for me is increasingly rare.  Here, I'll share, and maybe that makes up some for the grrroar over 'vampinis'?

So, what about ya'll? Have you read something in UF that you're just sick to death of? Have any defense for the vampini?















No comments:

Post a Comment