Friday, May 9, 2014

Dark Currents



The tag title for this is Daisy Johanssen, reluctant hell-spawn.
And that is absolutely accurate. Unlike Faythe though (from Stray
) she's not raging or a wound up ball of anger. She's pretty chill all in all. I find it interesting that the author decided to work in the concept of the "Seven Deadlies" as a palpable force almost that she has to be aware of at all times. Stuff tends to happen when she isn't.
I admit the name Daisy threw me for a loop at first and I had some preconceived notions about the characters personality and looks. They were all smashed within seconds. Which is always the best isn't it?
Anyway, while I'm not getting any solid ideas for jewelry for Miss Daisy of the Pemkowet police, I am getting something from her reluctant partner, Cody Fairfax. Apparently he's a werewolf* and every time he gets upset, the author mentions how there's a flicker of "phosphorescent green" behind his eyes. The color that comes to mind with that phrase.. I'd like to do something with that, although I don't have a clue what just yet XD. Cody is very rough and his werewolf side is very..naturalistic let’s say. I think a wolf pendant, with a little bit of magic to it would fit him. He’d probably string it on a leather cord he made himself.
I can't help it, I love a well written fop, and Casimir is lovely. Shammanic roots and head of the local coven not to mention small town business owner!
Funnily enough Casmir's in town rival, the bead shop, is called Baubles and Beads. Which brought to mind both the online store and the video series by the same name. (Although it turns out after checking later it’s “Beads, Baubles and Jewels. Ooops. Still an interesting thing though. )
Mogwai- Daisy's sometime pet cat. Sort of a stray, sort of not? I love his name, but I'm starting to think that he's something else, although you'd think Daisy would know if he was.
Old Mrs Browne- This little old lady gets jewelry. I don't know what yet, but I like her. She's a baker!:D She's also a brownie unless I'm off or something eldritch anyway. I’m thinking she’d need something easy to clean, so polymer clay or maybe metal, without a ton of texturing, but something colorful.
Lurine- Here's something I haven’t seen in awhile, a Lamia, Green and gold and blue with iridescent crimson spots. I get the feeling that Lurine might be a celebrity on land, but in the water, she's more akin to royalty. And pretty scary when she wants to be. If Lurine has been around for so long, I think she’d have collected certain pieces of jewelry, especially if I’m right and she’s some type of royalty? This fits her.
Mikill- I don't know if he's going to get jewelry or a painting at some point. A frost giant!
ansuz- the 'f' rune. And a piece for Daisy. Even though it doesn’t mention something like this in the book, I could see Daisy enjoying something simple, but a little bit of shiny to make her day brighter.
*It just isn't urban fantasy without weresomethings I suppose.








No comments:

Post a Comment