Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Review: The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques

Title: The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques
Author: Anastasia Young
 
Pictures: 10/10
Clarity of Instruction: 8/10 
Complexity: 1/10 -10/10
Overall Score: 9/10
Let me start off with, I LOVED this book. Now that we've got that out of the way, I'll do my best to explain why. The book is divided into 6 sections. There's a brief history of jewelry at the very beginning with beautiful photos of jewelry from around the world, throughout time. After that begins the actual chapters. Chapter 1 is Work Space, Tools and Materials. I loved this section because it really went into depth on everything you should have when starting off, and then everything else you /could/ have. The info on the different materials was great to read, very easy to follow along with, and I learned quite a bit in this section alone. 

Chapter two is all about Techniques, and here is the only place the book had me ever so slightly confused confused. There would be times, such as when I was reading the enameling section, or reading about making rings, where it would use a term that the book assumed you would know, and yet it's not explained anywhere. 

On the other hand, there were tons of sections that I, being the ditz I can be at times ><, never would have considered including. Examples? Bending acrylic and making catches. It simply never would have crossed my mind. The techniques section is both very indepth and manages to cover a broad range of topics, while also giving only a small amount of information. Each technique is only given two to three pages, but within those pages, there's a wealth of information and at least one series of beautiful pictures. The techniques also range from the 'basic' such as working on a wire jig, or stringing, on over to the 'complex' like chasing and repousse or enameling. 

The third chapter is all about Design. I admit, being self taught the idea of designing a piece of jewelry from start to finish is rather daunting to me. The idea though of making samples and keeping detailed notes on how you came up with something isn't new, but the concept of technical diagrams certainly was. Even though I took drafting in school, I never thought to apply that to my work now. The things you learn.. 
Chapter four is all about going into business, and is one of the shortest chapters in the book.  My favorite section in this chapter was on Photography and the different effects that can be obtained, not to mention how to photography shiny surfaces.  (I admit, I am not the best when it comes to photography.)  The only section I had issue for in this was the pricing. It was more words and 'general' ideas than examples that could actually help you get a working idea for it. (and that's after taking into consideration that jewelry is a very broad range of prices.) 

Chapter five is the reference section, I really enjoyed reading this section, especially the suppliers and galleries listings. 

Final thoughts: Like I said at the beginning, I loved this book. Most undoubtedly, when I get the chance I am buying it and it is going to be a constant companion near my workbench. I highly suggest it for anyone of any level of work. 
Do you have any thoughts on this book? Feel free to comment below. :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment