Saturday, March 1, 2014

Book Review: The WireWorker’s Companion

Title: The WireWorker's Companion

Author:  Denise  Peck & Jane Dickerson

Pictures: 10/10
Clarity of Instruction: 10/10

Complexity: 2/10

Overall Score: 9/10 

 

The WireWorker's Companion..... was a lot smaller than I thought it'd be. When I first ordered it online, I figured it'd be roughly 9x12 the way most of the craft books are. Instead it's more like.. 8x5? It's not a bad thing at all, I just found it hilarious when I first got it.  It's a spiralbound book, and flips open sort of like a sketchpad, rather than a notebook would. I like that about it. I think it keeps it open better on my bench when I'm working. 

This is a really basic book, but everything it does cover, is done very well. It's basic wire work techniques. Things that are covered in the back of most of the step by step wire magazines. However. The photos are much better, and you can see everything that's done very clearly. It covers tools, types of wires, different things you can do with wire, and which wires work best for different applications. There's even a (SUPER) short section on fusing silver using a micro torch. :D 

My favorite things out of the entire book were actually the tools, charts and the reference section in the back. Since I'm self taught I learn about tools primarily from the books and articles I read. My newest one that I've learned about? A set of hole punching pliers. I admit, I'm astounded. I'm also miffed that my local craft store doesn't carry them. :( These specifically stuck in my head because of a project I"m working on, and I keep thinking how much easier the job would be if I had these, which is true. I just have to keep working as I have been though. :) The charts cover things like wire gauge, and different diameters that should be kept in mind when working with chainmail. The reference section is something I'm just starting to see in the Interweave books, and frankly I love it. They have 'further reading' as well as a list of places for where to get the supplies used in the book and the tools. Again, being self-taught, this makes my life so much easier (although I admit price hunting is still a pain!) 

I also really loved the tips. There's pretty much a tip for everything in the book. Just something small that makes whatever you're doing so much easier. My favorite one was one about tumble polishing. Apparently if you don't remove some of the oxidization from your jewelry before tumbling, it will be polished to a gunmetal appearance. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's pretty useful! 

I think my two favorite things I learned from this book were the ideas of stamping my clasps, and how to do a proper wire loop. I know, I know, you're staring at my in disbelief right? I've known /how/ to do a wire loop and even a wrapped loop for ages. Something about the way it was presented in this book though, it made it so much easier to get them all the same I suppose? I must say, from what I've seen, my stuff looks much better now and I am very pleased by that. 

All in all, I definitely recommend this book, even if you're a master at wirework, I think it might be useful. 

Do you have any thoughts on this book? Feel free to comment below. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment