Thursday, March 6, 2014

Kumihimo and Wire

Next month's book review is going to be "Kumhimo with Wire" (I know, I know, I can't believe I'm telling ya'll early! ;) but this post doesn't really work without ya'll knowing.)  So as I was reading the book, I really, really wanted to try out some of the experiments in the book. This is the troubles and tribulations I faced while doing it. And boy are they a doozy!
My first thought was to try and use painter's tape and the copper pipes I have to wrap the wire around and keep them out of my way while I'm working. Yeah. That failed. The pipes were to heavy in comparison to the wire, and so the wire just sproinged off and made these beautiful slinkies that would've gotten tangled quicker than I could say 'Rapunzel'. 
So the next idea was to again use the painter's tape and adhere the wire to empty medicine bottles I use for bead storage... that looked like it was going to work. Until I put the board on my knees and again Sprrooing!  =sighs= 
Round three, Mia vs the wire. This time, I'm going to anneal the wire (as much as possible considering I've got the ends of the 8 pieces twisted together). Then wrap it around bobbins. Hopefully this will work. 
 So far so good, I've got the wire semi-annealed and wrapped around the bobbins, and I'm already making notes on how to better go about this next time. Unfortunately this takes so much fuel!
Once again I've hit a wall.
Unlike with thread, the wire doesn't want to stay next to each other, it doesn't want to be close to it's buddies and actually look like a cord. So I need to figure out someway to fix this. For now, I'm cutting the wires free, scrapping the ends, and winding the wires tight on the bobbins. I'll use some thread to make cords for now. 
New rule. If I'm working on a necklace, there's going to be bobbins involved. No exceptions. This means I need more bobbins :/
Today's experiments have left me daydreaming about Ez Bobbins and VictorianGypsygirl's BEAUTIFUL sari ribbons. I would love to play with those and make things.. -sighs- Ahh, gotta love working on a tight budget!
 
If ya’ll have any thoughts or experiences working wire with Kumihimo, please let me know. Smile







No comments:

Post a Comment