Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mokume Gane- My way.

So I don't know if you've noticed, but the metalsmithing technique of mokume gane (literally 'wood eye metal' or 'wood grain metal') is popping up all over the place as a polymer clay technique. Once again, Pinterest is completely to blame for showing me this. 

First, some quick pieces that made me drool and started the itch to make things.

 

 

 

 

Looking at all of these, I think the biggest thing that makes them appeal to me is vibrant colors and contrast. I've seen plenty that should in theory work, the color palette looks nice on it's own. For some reason though, the resulting slices just never look nice?

In the event that you're now as interested as I am and want to try out making something like this, I'll give you a step by step.

1) Pick out your clay. I wouldn't choose more than 3 colors personally. Pick ones with a lot of contrast between them.

2) Roll each of these out to an equal thickness. If you have a pasta machine, I'd set it to medium , whatever that may be. (I rolled mine out to about 1/8" each at first.

3) Slice each of these layers into squares/rectangles. Now, layer those squares A, B, C.

4) Run over the top lightly with a brayer (or if you're me a copper pipe), until the layers are just stuck together.

5) Slice the entire thing in half widthwise. Lay one half on top of the other. Your pattern should go ABC ABC.

6) Repeat this once more. From what I've seen and what poking around I've been able to do, if you have more than 24 layers (give or take) you don't seem to get as much definition between the individual colors.

7) Now, grab a few things from around your workbench. Me, I've got a pen, a screw, a knife, and a wavy bit of heavy gauge wire. Stab the top of your stack! Stab it a lot ! :D

8) Now that you're done taking out pent up frustration on the block, set aside your tools, and squish the block back together, so it roughly resembles a rectangle/square again.

9) Take a floor stripper, tissue blade or x-acto knife and begin to cut away slices from the top, and set them aside. I used an x-acto and got lots of small, thin slices. If you're looking for a more solid slice, I'd go with a larger blade, a la the floor stripper or tissue blade.

10) Take your slices and turn them into jewelry or house decor, have fun!

At some point, I'll be taking pictures of my first set of finished pendants and plunking them in here for ya'll to see.  I hope you enjoyed this post, and the technique!

Feel free to comment below :D

No comments:

Post a Comment